One-Two Punch: Kevin Gilmartin and Laura van Dernoot Lipsky to speak at LE Family Network Conference
October 7 – 9, 2011
Country Inn and Suites Hotel, Bothell, WA
2011 LEFN Conference.pdf
Two lessons learned in the aftermath of Washington line of duty deaths over the past few years: we need to be prepared before the unthinkable happens and law enforcement families are here for one another - in the good times and the bad. The 2nd Annual Law Enforcement Family Network conference offers an opportunity to network with other police family support groups and to offer tools for healthy law enforcement families. The need to network is vital, as the call for support may not come from within your own LE agency. The cry for support may well be from a neighboring agency who needs your help.
The one-two punch of the two keynote speakers ensures a conference to remember. On Saturday morning, Dr. Kevin Gilmartin will speak on Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement Officers and Their Families. Sunday morning Laura van Dernoot Lipsky will speak on The Ripple Effects of Stress & Trauma to the Family. Both are dynamic presenters who will address key issues in the daily life of LE families.
Topics of particular interest to LE families during the Breakout Sessions:
• Sending Your Kids the Right Message - Parenting in the Age of Social Media
• No Place to Hide - Recognizing and Protecting Our Children from Cyber Criminals
• Talking Through the Tough Times - Effective Family Communication After High Profile Incidents
• Police Life – Safe Call Now
• Connecting. Uniting. Supporting. - Strong Family Support Groups – How to Begin One and Remain Strong
• Jenni Volk, "WA State First Responder Will Clinic"
• Cynthia Tobias, "Law Enforcement Academy for Families (LEAF)"
• Sgt. Brian Johnston, Behind the Badge's "Line of Duty Death Response Team"
Fun! Fun! Fun! (Don't miss this chance to network and have some fun!)
• Friday evening: Kareem Kandi, jazz musician extraordinaire, comedian Lisa Koch, light hors d'oeuvres
• Saturday evening: Wine and beer social with entertainment by renowned guitarist Michael Powers
Chance to Win an IPad! One raffle ticket per conference attendee - Must be present to win, drawing Sunday morning, October 9th
Conference cost is $25 per person. (Some scholarships are available.) It's open to the adult family members* of commissioned LE officers and the officers themselves. (*spouses, domestic partners, significant others, parents, adult children, siblings) Registration deadline is September 30. The conference is sponsored by the Behind the Badge Foundation. The conference flyer, program, and hotel and registration information are available at www.behindthebadgefoundation.org Questions? Contact Gayle Frink-Schulz, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 890-6332