PS/PI/BBRA Firearms Certification Updated 12/6/11
The WSCJTC is mandated to issue firearms certifications as an element of an individual's armed license for security, investigation, or bail recovery per RCW 18.165, 18.170, and 18.185.
To apply, you must first complete an 8-hour PS/PI/BBRA Firearms Certification Course instructed by an approved WSCJTC Certified Firearms Instructor in your area. Click on the links below using the Certification Chart as your guide. Additional information regarding the steps for armed certification can be found by viewing the Process Seminar Presentations below the study guide.
1. Certification Chart- shows you the process for armed certification (View the PDF File)
2. PS Certified Firearms Instructor Directory for Handgun, Shotgun, & Rifle, Click Here (Updated November 8, 2011)
3. Click here to view the Forms Page
Special Note: If sole proprietor for Private Investigation or Bail Bond Recovery, you must sign for yourself as the owner, designee on the 726 certification application form. Unsigned forms will be held until a signed application is submitted.
4. Armed Certification Study Guide
View the PDF version. (Updated March 2011) **(Having trouble downloading this file? The best solution is to right-click the file, save it somewhere on the computer, then navigate to that location and open the PDF file).
Process Seminar Presentations (presented 11/14/08): Available in Microsoft PowerPoint
Firearms Program Update (Download now in PowerPoint format)
Armed Certification Process (Download now in PowerPoint format
Interested in becoming a PS Certified Firearms Instructor?
PS Certified Firearms Instructors are made up of a cadre of individuals that currently work for security companies, law enforcement agencies, and so on. To become an instructor individuals must meet the mission and values of the WSCJTC and uphold the rules set forth in WAC 139-37 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=139-37&full=true).
Instructors that are unable to meet these rules and guidelines can be removed from the instructor cadre. PS Certified Firearms Instructors follow a set curriculum created by the WSCJTC and any instructor not following the Certification Training Process can be reported to
NEW! Once you become a PS Certified Firearms Instructor your instructor status is valid for two years. Instructors must recertify by the month of their expiration and if unable to do so will be removed from the Instructor Directory until able to recertify again as an instructor.
Individuals are welcome to apply to become a PS Certified Firearms Instructor if they are currently working for a security or enforcement agency, currently working for a firearms training company, current law enforcement, or other entity firearms instructor (e.g. NRA, Oregon DPSST, Idaho POST). Email
for more information.
Individuals can apply for instructor classes and view forms required for PS Certified Firearms Instructor training by viewing the links below.
2012 schedule to be posted soon!
Current Instructor Class Schedule: Please click here to view the current course schedule.
Forms you will need: https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=149&Itemid=66
WA State Patrol Training can be found on the WSCJTC website under the training tab. WSP Criminal History Unit provides the following titled classes:
RAP Sheet Training
Livescan Operations-Fingerprint Training
Ink Fingerprint Training
CrossMatch LiveScan Operations-Fingerprint Training
News & Reminders:
a. Instructors – Completed qualification test forms are to be given to the students or their agencies to be submitted to the WSCJTC. Do not mail in student forms to the WSCJTC.
b. Licensees – All guards, investigators, and bail bond recovery agents that hold current firearms certifications with their armed licenses must recertify on all firearms they use in the course of their duties annually prior to license expiration.
Questions and Answers:
Please view our page on frequently asked questions for more information! Download now in Word or PDF format.
Targets: Private Security/Bail Recovery Firearms Target Information for Instructors: Qualification Targets can be obtained in the full and half size from the following companies:
Targets.net: http://www.targets.net/html/other__b__targets.html, Our mailing address is: 1145 Clyde Hanson Drive * Hammond WI 54015, Toll Free: 866-498-8228,
Phone: 715-796-5201, Toll Free Fax: 866-498-8448, E-mail Address:
Law Enforcement Targets: http://www.letargets.com/ Phone: 1-800-779-0182 Fax: 651-645-5360 This company stocks the standard, half, and quarter size targets to accommodate your range environment if you do not see the product you want in the online catalog, call them and they will produce the target for you.
WA State Dept. of Printing General Store: Create new user account, an assortment of targets can be found under the Criminal Justice Training Commission agency link in the store. https://fortress.wa.gov/prt/printwa/wsprt/default.asp
NEW! Edgework Crisis Intervention Resources PLLC: Training manuals for security industry personnel in executive protection, private security, human resources, corporate security and more, on how to respond to individuals in mental health crisis. Click Here
The agency information listed below is a listing only and not endorsed, supported, or funded by the WSCJTC.
- Washington State Department of Licensing Bail Bond Recovery Agent Training Referrals. Download the document now in PDF format.
- Pierce County Security, Inc. provides Washington State DOL Unarmed Pre-Assignment and Post-Assignment Security Guard Training, WSCJTC Handgun & Shotgun Certifications and ASP Baton & Handcuffing Factory Certification. Classes are held at our facility in Tacoma or our Trainers can travel to you. Please call 253-535-4433 for more information or email
- Olympic Tactical Instruction, Olympic Tactical & Investigations offers over 62 training courses for Security, Private Investigators and Bail Recovery Agents. Some courses we offer are CJTC Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun qualifications, OC Spray Certification, ASP Baton, ASP Handcuffs, Taser, Defensive Tactics, all DOL required modules for Bail Recovery Agents, Security Pre-Assignment training, Private Investigator Training, Executive Protection, and many more. We are licensed in WA and CA as trainers, and fully insured. Visit www.olytac.com , call 360-477-0731, or email
for more information.
- Black Tiger Tactical Systems, LLC Offers the best and the most hands-on training in the following areas: Defensive Tactics, Tactical Handcuffing, Control Tactics, Knife/Edge Weapon Defense, Cell Extractions, Taser, Stinger, Self-defense, High risk transport, Ground tactics, Courtroom Security, Expandable baton, Leg & waist restraints, Weapons Retention & Disarming, OC training, Use of Force training, Firearms, Area Extractions, Active Shooter, Field Operations, and tactical training to the Law Enforcement, Military Organizations, Private Security, and Private Citizens. For more information please visit our website at www.blacktigertacticalsystem.com or by calling us at 206-349-8181 or email us at