Advanced Communications Training Officer (ACTO) provides students with information about adult training that makes training faster and more effective. The class is interactive and students gain exercises and hands-on training.
ACTO is an advanced class recommended for CTOs who have one (1) year of successfully training employees for their agency.
ACTO is a 24 hour class, including 8 hours of pre-course reading and assignments and 16 hours of in-class time. The student must score 70% or better on the post-class exam in order to pass. Non-renewable certificates are issued for passing this class.
The topics covered in ACTO class:
- Review of basic adult learning principles
- Introduction to the philosophy of accelerated learning
- Advanced adult learning methods
- Multiple Intelligence theory (Gardner)
- Triune brain theory and learning (MacLean)
- Hemispheric Brain Dominance theory and learning (left-brain, right-brain) (Sperry)
- Whole Brain Learning theory (Herrmann)
- Conditions of Learning (Gagné)
- Situational Leadership and the CTO
- Comparison of the San Jose and Reno training models
- Creating effective DORs and SEGs
- Trainer roundtable discussion of issues
Pre-Course readings and assignments:
- Leadership and the One Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard and Drea Zagarmi by mail
- Two modules on Adult Learning from CJTC’s CTO course by email with course acceptance letter
- Pre-course assignment is sent by email and is attached to the acceptance letter.
- Current T1 or T2 Certification
- Successful completion of CJTC CTO (0739) OR APCO CTO
Who can attend our classes?
- Public safety telecommunicators employed at a recognized PSAP in the State of Washington.
- Employees from other call centers, government agencies or security departments will not be accepted.
- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Dates and locations listed below.
- Notification to our office is required three (3) weeks before the start of class
- Student no shows or cancellations less than three (3) weeks before class are billed $125.
- Materials may be required to be returned to our office.