The Communications Training Officer is course giving students the knowledge, skills and abilities to train and evaluate new telecommunicators in a one-on-one setting. This class focuses on the trainer.
CTO is a class recommended for new trainers who will train within a structured program. CTO is a 32 hour course that includes some pre-course reading. Student must pass the post-course exam with 70% or higher to pass. Non-renewable certificates are given for passing this class.
Topics covered in CTO:
- Goal of training
- The pivotal role of the CTO within an agency, agency training program and culture of the organization
- Role modeling
- Adult learning principles
- Understanding the adult learner you will be coaching
- Matching teaching methods to tasks and learners
- Techniques and methods to use with different types of learners and for different types of tasks
- Use of Socratic questioning techniques
- Evaluating Performance and Skills
- Use of feedback
- Standardized Evaluation Guidelines (SEGs)
- Daily Observation Reports (DORs)
- Coaching/counseling techniques
Methods of teaching included:
- Case studies
- Guided discussion
Pre-Course readings and assignments:
- Pre-course reading sent by email with acceptance letter
- Current T1 or T2 Certification
Who can attend our classes?
- Public safety telecommunicators employed at a recognized PSAP in the State of Washington.
- Employees from other call centers, government agencies or security departments will not be accepted.
- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Dates and locations listed below.
- Notification to our office is required two (2) weeks before the start of class
- Student no shows or cancelations less than two (2) weeks before class are billed $125.
- Materials may be required to be returned to our office.